Get Your Fixtures Checked Out Before It’s Too Late
Annual Maintenance on Fixtures
Floors, walls, counters – those surfaces are all relatively easy to clean because of how much space they take up. If you really want to know how clean someone is, or if you want to impress your guests with your own cleanliness, check the faucets and fixtures.
Ignoring your London home faucets and fixtures just because they’re a bit tougher to clean isn’t an excuse to abandon them altogether. Here’s why annual maintenance on faucets and fixtures is important.
Helps Your Faucets and Fixtures Work Better
You might not realise it, but there are likely copper chips, solder particles and other installation materials still caught in your aerators and shower heads, even if your London home isn’t new.
To avoid future problems because of these inhibiting materials, it’s important to perform maintenance on your faucets and fixtures as often as possible. Before doing so, though, make sure you turn your water off.
- To flush a kitchen or bathroom faucet, remove the aerator and the sealing gasket. Turn both the hot and cold handles all the way on and flush the lines for at least two minutes before replacing the aerator and sealing gasket.
- To flush a shower faucet, remove the shower head, turn both the hot and cold handles all the way on and wait five minutes before replacing the shower head. Perform the same steps for your tub faucet.
Maintaining your faucets and fixtures will help them work better, allowing water to flow properly without blockages.
Helps Your Faucets and Fixtures Last Longer
Considering that faucets and fixtures all have different finishes, you have to pay extra attention to how you clean them so you don’t scratch or ruin them. Here are two tips to keep in mind.
- Wipe your faucets and fixtures with a damp cloth and mild cleaner.
- Dry your faucets and fixtures with a soft cloth to keep lustre and shine.
Here is a list of cleaning products that can damage your faucets and fixtures.
- Industrial cleaners
- Abrasive cleaners
- Toilet bowl cleaners
- Bleach-based cleaners
- Ammonia solutions
- Heavy-duty scrub sponges
- Tarnish and rust removers
- Products containing acids and caustic agents
Annual Maintenance Saves You Time and Money
When you perform annual maintenance on your faucets and fixtures, you improve their overall performance and increase their longevity. This saves you both the time that you might spend repairing broken faucets and fixtures or the money you’ll waste buying new ones or using more water than you have to.
If you haven’t had your London, UK plumbing system checked out, there’s no better time than now to call FD Plumbing & Heating at 020 7060 4770!